Sunday, March 14, 2021

Month 72: Pages 109-111

This Month's Installment

The italicized parts are what I'm unsure about.
To her, however, it was as if through the dark night, she saw the warm shining of his eyes, which she liked so much.  "I knew it," she replied, and nothing more.
     "Admittedly, I would have rather my uncle left Bärwalde.  It suits him well now because Uncle Hugo has just arrived here and could take him with to his apartment in Berlin.  But he clings to his home tightly and is fearless.  It will not be easily kept."
     "I believe that too, as far as I know the old man.

---109---

And especially now, when the war isn't even here yet and is conducted only in the thoughts of a young, merry cavalry captain."
     "It is already here," he replied, without responding to her joke, "we just don't know it yet.  What is coming now is formality - nothing more.  We are lying here not too far from the border, that is no place for old and frail people."
     "And Bärwalde?"
     "That is taken care of.  The Hutemach and Borowski, the Lithuanian and the East Prussian-born, those are a good watch.  I know them both, they have nerves like steel and real East Prussian blood.  They do not yield, not one step, even if the Cossacks take the two poplars in front of the door!"
     She laughed.  "Those would certainly be beautiful sights, for us here too!"
     He was concerned for a moment.  Actually, he hadn't thought of her at all!  But she knew him, such was his way.
     "Of course, we won't let them come that far, that is surely clear.  And then - Pronitten is a city, even if only a small one, that provides some security, and the youth know nothing of danger; that is its beautiful privilege."
     "I honestly have no fear.  Exactly as little as your Hutemach, who embodies the feminine ideal for you.  If she has the house full, then she can confidently send some of the Cossacks over to me.  I would politely ask them into our pipe leaf house over there and pour them coffee so calmly, like I did for the cavalry captain in Bärwalde, yes, perhaps even a little more calmly."
     And as she was afraid that her blushing, which this last remark had involuntarily brought to her face, could not escape from him in this

---110---

darkness:  "It was curiosity, I didn't know him at all yet, but I had heard so much about him, especially about his wicked mind."
     "And then found him as gentle as a child."
     "Of course!"  But she wanted to break off from this subject, or turn to what he had said earlier, which was still in her head:  "Grandfather will also not go, of course, come what may, and I will gladly stay with him.  There is a lot in him:  great and faithful.

Commentary

I don't have much to say this month.

I must admit that I don't understand the turn that this conversation takes after Hanna's blushing.

Also:  to-day marks six years since I started this project.