Friday, April 14, 2017

Month 25: Pages 37-38

This Month's Installment

As always, the italicized parts are what I'm unsure about:
     "You see, Fritz," Hans remarkt, "because you would have to replace uncle, where he can no longer do it, and you certainly haven't been there for a church service a single time yet."
     "No, my dear!  Not a single time!  On Sundays I stay in bed; it's the only day when I can, sometimes 
---37---
right into the afternoon.  And my church service - well, Hans, these meadows and fields, the grazing livestock, the foals in the paddock, and the rustling woods all around us.  Do you mean then that all that is no church service, when one only has eyes to see it and ears to hear it?  It's one for me at least; I don't need the church."
     Hans wrinkled his brow.  "You know how I love all that.  But a good sermon - and the old man over there knows his stuff - increases the delight I get from it.  Besides, I thought you had changed your view in this a little."
     "Mr. Warsow is completely right," Hutemach, whose word was worth much in Bärwald and whom the two young men held in an incontestable respect, joined the conversation now.  "See, Captain, how often I have said that to you!  But you didn't want to believe it and thought it would be enough if I prayed for you."
     Fritz relented.  "Let one be good, Hans.  I'm coming along tomorrow, if there's no hurry because you will already want to go in the afternoon while I have to do; but in the evening I'm picking you up with the taxi, if only the cute Little Red Riding Hood from Samaria paid her respects to me."
     "Always the same!" said Hans, and now there was something like anger in his voice.  "Whom does he mean by the cute Little Red Riding Hood from Samaria?" he askt Hutemach.
     "A granddaughter of Pastor."


Grammatical Minutiae

I combined the two words in the phrase "nie angefochtenes" to get "incontestable."  "Nie" means "never" and "angefochtenes" is a past participle from "anfechten," which means "to contest" or "to challenge."  Translating "nie angefochtenes" somewhat literally to get "never-challenged" seemed a bit cumbersome; "incontestable" seemed much simpler.